Frequently Asked Questions
What are the settings for my mail program?
METC offers both POP3 and IMAP mail services. However, currently the stated maximum for server side storage is 250M which limits IMAP capacity. Due to these limits, POP3 is the recommended setting. Server settings from METC's mail servers:
For the incoming account:
* Connection Type: IMAP or * Connection Type: POP
* Port: 993 * Port: 995
* Security Option: SSL * Security Option: SSL
* Hostname: mail.metc.net * Hostname: mail.metc.net
* Username: <your email address> * Username: <your email address>
* Password: <your password> * Password: <your password>
For the outgoing account:
* Hostname: mail.metc.net
* Port: 587
* Security Option: STARTTLS (TLS)
* Check "My server requires authentication"
* Username: <your email address>
* Password: <your password>
If you have an iPhone or iPad, simply go to iphone.metc.net to download and install the mail configuration for your device.
How do I notify everyone in my address book that my Email address has changed?
- Open Outlook Express.
- Click on the New Mail button. (The New Message window opens.)
- Click on To. (The Select Recipients window opens.)
- Click on the first person listed in your address book.
- Now hold down the shift key on your keyboard.
- While still holding down the shift key, scroll down the list of people and click on the last person in your address book.
- Now you can release the shift key. (All the people in your address book will be selected.)
- Click on the Bcc:-> button (Blind Carbon Copy -- This doesn't show any of the names or Email addresses of the recipients.)
- Click OK at the bottom of the window.
- Now you are back to the New Message Window.
- Click in the subject line and give this Email a subject. (Example: Email address change.)
- In your message let them know your Email address has changed.
- CAREFULLY TYPE YOUR NEW EMAIL ADDRESS. (Example: My new Email address is firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Press Send. Some people may need to press the Send/Receive button to send the message.
How do I add an Email address to Outlook Express?
- Open Outlook Express.
- Click on Tools in the Tool Bar at the top of the page.
- Select Accounts.
- Click on the Mail Tab.
- Click Add on the side of Window.
- An additional window will come up, click on Mail.
- Display Name will appear. Delete the name that comes up in this box. Enter the name in which you would like your account to be set up under. By deleting this original field you are not deleting this account, just the viewable name.
- Click Next.
- Your current Email address will appear. Erase and type your new Email address.
- My incoming mail server is a POP3. This field should already be filled in.
Incoming mail enter pop3.metc.net in the box below.
Outgoing mail enter smtp.metc.net in the box below.
- Click Next.
- Enter additional Email address (email@example.com) along with the password that was provided to you. Both of these fields need to be lower case and no more than 8 characters.
- Click Next.
- Click Finish.
- Your original window will appear. The field you just entered should be highlighted. Click on Properties.
- Change mail account to your name or identifier for you additional Email account. Be sure a check mark is in the box to include this account when receiving mail or synchronizing. Click Apply.
- Click OK.
- Click Close.
How do I contact Tech Support and what are the hours?
The Technical Support toll-free number is (866) 764-6161. They are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Who do I contact for questions about my bill?
The Marne Elk Horn Telephone office handles all billing questions. Office hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00 AM-5:00 PM. They can be reached at (712) 764-6161 or (888) 764-6141. The office is located at 4242 Main St., Elk Horn, Iowa. Please feel free to call with any questions. Billing Information
What are the minimum computer requirements for High Speed Internet service?
The minimum hardware requirements are listed below and are necessary to operate METC High Speed services.
Windows Machines: Pentium class 800Mhz CPU or greater, 256MB of RAM, 65MB of free hard disk space, 10BaseT Ethernet card, Windows XP Operating System or higher, CD ROM drive.
Macintosh Machines: PowerMac or higher, 32MB of RAM, 10BaseT Ethernet card, 65MB free hard disk space, Mac OS 10 or greater recommended, CD ROM drive.
What are the settings for my FTP program?
User web-space moved from www.metc.net/~username to users.metc.net/username. FTP access for user space at users.metc.net or ftp.metc.net. Hosted domains have FTP access at ftp.domainname.tld.
How do I create a message rule or mail filter for Outlook Express mail program?
- Tools > Message Rules > Mail, click NEW
- Put check mark in "Where the Subject line contains ....
- Put check mark in "Moved to specified ...." or "Delete It"
- Click "specific words" in Box 3
- Type Possible SPAM in box, click ADD
- Click "specified folder"
- Click New Folder if "Move...." selected and create folder or click Deleted Items if "Delete It" selected.
- In box 4, change the rule name or not, it's up to you. On the Message Rules Box, click Apply Now, (until it's applied)
New incoming messages marked *** Possible SPAM *** will automatically be dealt with according to your settings in the above rule.
To prevent against potential viruses, METC doesn't allow you to attach certain types of files, including:
Certain file types (listed below), including their compressed form (like .gz or .bz2 files) or when found within archives (like .zip or .tgz files).
Documents with malicious macros.
Note: If you try to attach a document that is too large, your message won't send. Messages larger than 30Mbytes are blocked. Consider posting to webspace and sending a link.
File types you can't include as attachments:
.ADE, .ADP, .BAT, .CHM, .CMD, .COM, .CPL, .EXE, .HTA, .INS, .ISP, .JAR, .JSE, .LIB, .LNK, .MDE, .MSC, .MSP, .MST, .PIF, .SCR, .SCT, .SHB, .SYS, .VB, .VBE, .VBS, .VXD, .WSC, .WSF, .WSH
Messages that don't have attachments:
Sometimes messages are blocked when you don't include any attachments. This can happen when you include content, images, or links that might share viruses.