Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the settings for my mail program?
METC offers both POP3 and IMAP mail services. However, currently the stated maximum for server side storage is 250M which limits IMAP capacity. Due to these limits, POP3 is the recommended setting. Server settings from METC's mail servers:
For the incoming account:
* Connection Type: IMAP or * Connection Type: POP
* Port: 993 * Port: 995
* Security Option: SSL * Security Option: SSL
* Hostname: mail.metc.net * Hostname: mail.metc.net
* Username: <your email address> * Username: <your email address>
* Password: <your password> * Password: <your password>
For the outgoing account:
* Hostname: mail.metc.net
* Port: 587
* Security Option: STARTTLS (TLS)
* Check "My server requires authentication"
* Username: <your email address>
* Password: <your password>
If you have an iPhone or iPad, simply go to iphone.metc.net to download and install the mail configuration for your device.
Internet Minimum Requirements
1. What are the minimum computer requirements for Internet service?
Windows Machines: Pentium class 800Mhz CPU or greater, 256MB of RAM, 65MB of free hard disk space, 10BaseT Ethernet card, Windows XP Operating System or higher, CD ROM drive.
Macintosh Machines: PowerMac or higher, 32MB of RAM, 10BaseT Ethernet card, 65MB free hard disk space, Mac OS 10 or greater recommended, CD ROM drive.
Contact Tech Support & Customer Service
1. How do I contact Tech Support and what are the hours?
The Technical Support toll-free number is (866) 764-6161. They are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
2. Who do I contact for questions about my bill?
The Marne Elk Horn Telephone office handles all billing questions. Office hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00 AM-5:00 PM. They can be reached at (712) 764-6161 or (888) 764-6141. The office is located at 4242 Main St., Elk Horn, Iowa. Please feel free to call with any questions. Billing Information
1. What are the settings for my FTP program?
User web-space moved from www.metc.net/~username to users.metc.net/username. FTP access for user space at users.metc.net or ftp.metc.net. Hosted domains have FTP access at ftp.domainname.tld.
Prohibited File Types
1. To prevent against potential viruses, METC doesn't allow you to attach certain types of files, including:
- File types you can't include as attachments: .ADE, .ADP, .BAT, .CHM, .CMD, .COM, .CPL, .EXE, .HTA, .INS, .ISP, .JAR, .JSE, .LIB, .LNK, .MDE, .MSC, .MSP, .MST, .PIF, .SCR, .SCT, .SHB, .SYS, .VB, .VBE, .VBS, .VXD, .WSC, .WSF, .WSH
Also included are these file types compressed forms like .gz or .bz2 files or when found within archives like .zip or .tgz files
- Documents with malicious macros
- If you try to attach a document that is too large, your message won't send. Messages larger than 30Mbytes are blocked. Consider posting to webspace and sending a link.
- Sometimes messages are blocked even when you don't include any attachments. This can happen when you include content, images, or links that might share viruses.